The holiday season is here, and with it comes lots of opportunities to indulge at parties and family gatherings. While you can’t always control what’s on the buffet over Christmas, you can control what you eat at work. Here are some tips for eating healthy at work throughout the holidays.
1. Bring your lunch: While this is an obvious choice, spend extra time at the beginning of the week planning what you’ll bring for lunch during the week. Pack a lunch that includes veggies, protein and fiber. You’ll get some great nutrients while enjoying a satisfying meal.
2. Keep a stash of healthy snacks at your desk: If you’re hungry, don’t force yourself to wait until a prescribed mealtime. Instead, make sure you have healthy snacks on hand that can be consumed in small amounts.
3. Walk when you can: Sitting at a desk all day wreaks havoc on our bodies – muscles get tight and our posture is bad. Walking or stretching is also a great way to fight boredom – a time when many people would turn to food. Make it a point to walk and/or stretch every hour. Set an alarm and bookmark a website with easy to follow stretches or exercises you can do at your desk.
4. Drink up: Drinking water throughout the day keeps you hydrated and feeling full. Dehydration is the cause of so many health problems from headaches and dizziness to feeling sluggish or weak. Keep a large, refillable glass at your desk and sip water throughout the day.
5. Stay engaged: Being at desk all day can foster boredom no matter how exciting your job is. Boredom can lead to mindless, constant snacking and feeling lethargic. Stay engaged, and fight boredom, by following the steps above. Having things to look forward to, such as a delicious snack or a walk around the block with a coworker, helps you be more productive when you are focusing on work.
What do you do to stay healthy during the work week? Tell us in the comments below!